One Should know that, in perfectly normal couple, in a single cycle, the chances of becoming pregnant is 10-15% only even if they have sex every day. However over a period of one year about 80% normal couple can become pregnant. The rest 20% can be classified as infertile.
In ART procedures you cannot expect more than 30% success in a single cycle (25-30 years aged women).
Experienced operators are able to detect almost all ectopic pregnancies measuring more than a few millimetres in size on ultrasound scan. It is important to emphasize; however, that ectopic pregnancies tend to develop more slowly than intrauterine pregnancies and it often takes them longer to grow to the size which makes them visible on the scan.
The earliest ultrasound can confirm the presence of heartbeat is at 4 weeks of conception. In women who conceive after IVF the heartbeat can be seen four weeks after the day of oocyte collection. Again, in order to avoid coming for the scan too early it is best to delay the attendance until two and a half to three weeks after the missed period or four and a half to five weeks after conception/oocyte collection.
A normal intrauterine pregnancy can be first seen on the scan three days after a missed menstrual period. In women who fall pregnant after fertility treatment such as ovarian stimulation the pregnancy can be seen 17 days after ovulation. In women who conceive after IVF the pregnancy can be seen 17 days after the day of oocyte collection. There are, however, small variations in the timing of conception and women who wish to confirm that their pregnancy is located within the uterus are advised to delay their attendance until a week after the missed period (or three weeks after conception) to avoid coming for the scan too early. This is particularly important in women with uterine abnormalities such as fibroids or adenomyosis, which make it harder to see the pregnancy and sometimes the diagnosis may be delayed for several days.
There is no evidence that ultrasound scans can harm pregnancies. It is important to ensure; however, that the energy of ultrasound beam is kept low. Use of pulsed Doppler devices to measure blood flow should be avoided in the first weeks of pregnancy as their energy output is higher compared to the ultrasound beam used for standard imaging. Our equipment is fully compliant with the international standards for safe use in pregnancy and the machine energy output is continuously monitored during the examination.
In most cases our reports are generated within minutes of completing the examination. You can also request a copy of your report and ultrasound images. We do not routinely perform video-recording of gynaecological scans, but we can arrange that easily if you wish us to do so. We do; however, offer DVDs with records of the examinations to women attending for early pregnancy scans.
Vaginal bleeding does not affect quality of ultrasound diagnosis and scans can be safely performed on women who attend during menstrual periods or on those who are experiencing irregular vaginal bleeding.
The examination is more accurate and it is better tolerated if the bladder is completely empty. Women who attend for transabdominal scans; however, should try to fill their bladder prior to the examination.
Typically takes five to ten minutes to complete. In women with complex findings such as multiple fibroids or extensive endometriosis the examinations usually last five to ten minutes longer.
Transvaginal ultrasound scan should not cause any significant discomfort and they are much easier to tolerate than smear tests. to minimise discomfort application of a lubrication gel containing local anaesthetic may make the examination easier to tolerate. Alternatively, local application of hormone oestrogen in the form of vaginal tablets or cream for one to two weeks prior to the examination may also be helpful.